OXFORDSHIRE LITTLEMORE CHURCH AND VINTAGE BUS REG. DU 4313 RP 1925

Littlemore is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Oxfordshire, created in 1847 from a chapelry in Iffley Ancient Parish and Oxford St Mary the Virgin Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Littlemoor

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1836
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1848

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes


View Larger Map

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LITTLEMOOR, or LITTLEMORE, a hamlet in Iffley parish, and a liberty and a chapelry partly also in Oxford-St. Mary-the-Virgin parish, Oxfordshire. The hamlet lies near the river Thames, the boundary with Berks, and the Oxford branch of the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SSE of Oxford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Oxford.

The liberty comprises 1,090 acres. Real property, £1,798. Pop. of the Iffley portion, in 1851, 214, in 1861, 234; of the Oxford-St. M. portion, in 1851, 733, in 1861, 892. Houses, 48 and 87.

The lunatic asylum for Oxfordshire and Berks is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 516 inmates.

The chapelry was constituted in 1847, and is conterminate with the liberty. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £180. Patron, alternately Oriel College, Oxford, and Crawley, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; consists of nave and highly ornate chancel, with a tower; and was built and long served by the Rev. Dr. Newman.

There is a national school. A benedictine nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II.; and was given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal Wolsey.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Abingdon
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Cuddesdon
  • Poor Law Union: Headington
  • Hundred: Bullingdon
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts