Islip is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1590
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1678

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ISLIP, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Ray, near its influx to the Cherwell, and adjacent to the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 6 miles NNE of Oxford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Oxford. The parish comprises 1, 960 acres. Real property, £4, 134. Pop., 688. Houses, 158. The manor was known to the Saxons as Githslepe; belonged, in King Ethelred’s time, to the Crown; was given, by Edward the Confessor, to the abbot and monks of Westminster; and belongs now to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The manor house or palace was the birthplace of Edward the Confessor; was, for a short time in 1326, the residence of Isabel of France; and afterwards went so completely to decay that the vestiges of it were matter of modern discovery. A chapel connected with it stood, as a barn, till 1780; and a font, removed from that chapel, and now at Middleton-Stony, is said to have been the font in which Edward the Confessor was baptized. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £398. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is variously transition-Norman, decorated English, and later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with handsome tower; and was restored, in 1861, at a cost of about £1, 800. The churchyard contains the grave, and a granite monument, of Dr. Buckland. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Free school. Bishop Ravis, Dean Vincent, Aglionby, a translator of the Bible, and Heylin, the author of the “Cosmographie,” were rectors.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bicester
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1852 – Bicester, Post-1851 – Islip
  • Poor Law Union: Bicester
  • Hundred: Ploughley
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts