Oxfordshire is bounded, North-East by Northamptonshire, East by Buckinghamshire, South by Berkshire, and West by Gloucestershire. Its length is about 55 miles and it varies from 40 to 7 miles in breadth. It is divided into fourteen Hundreds: Bampton, Banbury, Binfield, Bloxham, Bullington, Chadlington, Dorchester, Ewelme, Lanktree, Lewknor, Pirton, Ploughley, Thame, and Wootton. Rivers: the Thame, the Isis, the Charwell, the Evenlode, and the Windrush. It has 13 Market-Towns, and contains 752 square miles, or 481,280 acres. It is in the Province of Canterbury, greater part in the Diocese of Oxford, which is the first town on the Oxford Circuit. Population, 161,643.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Oxfordshire Towns & Villages