Idbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Oxfordshire, created in 1750 from chapelry in Swinbrook Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Foscott and Bowld.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1754
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- Sarsden with Churchill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IDBURY, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; adjacent to Gloucestershire, 2½ miles SSW of Chipping-Norton Junction r. station, and 5½ N by W of Burford. It contains the hamlets of Bowld and Foscott; and its post town is Fifield, under Chipping-Norton. Acres, 1,370. Real property, £2,448. Pop., 233. Houses, 46. The manor belongs to F. F. Turvell, Esq. There are vestiges of a large Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; and was annexed in 1865 to Fifield. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a rich N door and a tower. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chipping Norton
Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
Rural Deanery: Chipping Norton
Poor Law Union: Chipping Norton