Headington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Alternative names: Heddington, Hedington

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1681
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1678

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HEADINGTON, a village, a parish, and a district in Oxfordshire. The village stands near the river Cherwell, 2½ miles ENE of Oxford r. station; and has a post-office under Oxford. The parish comprises 1, 780 acres. Real property, £7, 163; of which £61 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 653; in 1861, 2, 110. Houses, 423. The increase of pop. arose from contiguity to Oxford. A palace of Ethelred stood at Court Close. The Oxford lunatic asylum stands on Headington Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £162. Patron, the Rev. T. H. Whorwood. The church is ancient, but has been mainly rebuilt; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. The p. curacy of Headington-Quarry is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an endowed school with £20 a year, and a workhouse.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HEADINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bullingdon, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Oxford; containing 1668 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2000 acres, of which the greater portion is rich grazing-land; the soil is various, in some parts clay, and in others a sandy loam, producing good crops of grain, and the meadows on the banks of the Cherwell are luxuriantly rich. The substratum abounds with freestone of excellent quality, which has been extensively quarried, and has furnished materials for the erection of most of the colleges and other public buildings of Oxford. There are also beds of clay, and great quantities of bricks are manufactured. A spacious and well conducted lunatic asylum has been established here, which is supported by subscription, and by fees paid by patients of a higher class, for whom superior accommodations are provided, and by others of inferior rank, to whom the terms of admission are rendered more moderate by a liberal appropriation of the profits arising from the wealthier patients. This benevolent institution originated with the governors of the Radcliffe Infirmary, and is under the patronage of the heads of houses in the university, and the nobility and gentry of the county. The living is a vicarage not in charge; net income, £118; patron, the Rev. T. H. Whorwood; impropriators, certain trustees. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, separated by a fine Norman arch: in the churchyard is a cross, enriched with tracery. An additional church has been commenced at Headington-Quarry. A school is endowed with the interest of £400, the gift of Mrs. Catherine Mather in 1805. A field, called Court Close, is said to be the site of one of the palaces of King Ethelred; a gateway and some walls were in existence till within the last 60 years. The poorlaw union of Headington comprises 22 parishes or places, 21 being in the county of Oxford, and one in that of Buckingham, and contains a population of 14,091: the workhouse was erected in 1834.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Photographs

Parish Records

Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Cemeteries ( 4 )
Headington Quarry, Holy Trinity, monumental inscriptions
Author: Oxfordshire Family History Society

Monumental inscriptions, of Headington, Oxfordshire, England
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. British Mission

Monumental inscriptions, St. Andrew’s churchyard — Old Headington, Oxford
Author: Wilsdon, Pauline; Oxfordshire Family History Society

Transcription of some of the gravestone inscriptions at the former Baptist Chapel, Headington
Author: Eustace, Margaret; Oxfordshire Family History Society

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Headington, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Church records ( 2 )
Headington Quarry parish registers
Author: Mason, Edna; Gumley, C. J. G.; Oxfordshire Family History Society; Church in England. Chapelry of Headington-Quarry (Oxfordshire)

Parish registers for Headington, 1681-1900
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Headington (Oxfordshire)

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Headington, Oxford, England

Computer printout of Headington, Oxford, England

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – History ( 1 )
A Village within a city : the story of Old Headington, Oxford
Author: Cook, Jean; Taylor, Leslie

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Occupations ( 1 )
Headington pauper apprentices and the fishing industry, 1874-77
Author: Horn, Pamela, 1936-

England, Oxfordshire, Headington – Schools ( 1 )
Headington Quarry School records, 1864-1900
Author: Headington Quarry School (Oxfordshire)

View Records

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Headington
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1852 – Cuddesdon, Post-1851 – Islip
  • Poor Law Union: Headington
  • Hundred: Bullingdon; Oxford Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts