Harpsden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Bolney.

Alternative names: Harden, Harding, Harpsden cum Bolney

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1685; 1721

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HARPSDEN, a parish in Henley district, Oxford; adjacent to the Henley railway, and near the river Thames, 1¼ mile S by W of Henley-on-Thames. It includes the hamlet of Bolney; and its post-town is Henley-on-Thames. Acres 1,460. Real property, £2,980. Pop., 261. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Harpdens; passed to the Fosters and the Halls; and belongs now to J. F. Hodges, Esq. The manor-house, Harpsden-Court, is ancient; entertained Queen Mary for several days; and formerly had seven halls, one of them called the Beggars’ Hall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £609. Patron, All Souls’ College, Oxford. The church was recently restored, and contains a cross-legged effigies, and some good brasses.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HARPSDEN (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Binfield, county of Oxford, 1¾ mile (S.) from Henley; containing, with the merged parish of Bolney, 211 inhabitants. It comprises 1991a. 1r. 32p., of which 1332 acres are arable, 253 beech wood, and the rest grass, underwood, &c. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 10. 5., and in the gift of All Souls’ College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £586, and the glebe comprises 102 acres. Bolney Court is said to have been a monastery, and was surrounded by a moat, of which there are still some vestiges. To the south-west of Harpsden Court are some remains of a small circumvallation, near which Roman coins are reported to have been found.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Photographs

Parish Records

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Henley
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Henley
  • Poor Law Union: Henley
  • Hundred: Binfield
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts