Great Haseley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Rycote, Lobb, Little Haseley, and Latchford.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HASELEY (Great), a township and a parish in Thame district, Oxford. The township lies 3 miles W of Tetsworth, and 5¼ SW of Thame r. station; and has a post-office under Tetsworth. Real property, £2, 665. Pop., 498. Houses, 110. The parish contains also the township of Little Haseley, the liberty of Rycote, and the hamlets of Latchford and Lobb. Acres, 3, 219. Real property, £6, 068. Pop., 714. Houses, 156. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by the Conqueror to Milo Crispin; and passed to the Bassets, the Brothertons, the Pipards, the Lenthalls, and others. Haseley Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £728. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient; was recently repaired and beautified; has a fine entrance porch, and a lofty embattled tower; and contains stone stalls and an altar tomb. There are an Independent chapel, and considerable charity estates for schools, apprenticing, and the poor. Leland, the antiquary, was rector; and Delafield, the author of a history of the parish, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HASELEY, GREAT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Thame, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 3¼ miles (W.) from Tetsworth; containing, with the township of Little Haseley, the hamlets of Latchford and Lobb, and the liberty of Rycote, 786 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £30, and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been commuted for £800, and there are about 98 acres of glebe. The church is in the decorated English style, with a west entrance of elegant design: on the right hand, under the tower, is the figure of a crusader in a suit of chain armour, and at the east end of the south aisle is the trunk of another figure; in the chancel are some handsome stone stalls, and a window of fine proportions, enriched with tracery. Leland, the antiquary, was for some time rector of the parish, to which he was presented by Henry VIII., in 1542. Near the church stands a spacious manor-house, built by a younger branch of the ancient family of Pipard, two members of which performed deeds so valiant in the Scotch wars that Edward I. summoned one to parliament as a baron, and conferred the honour of knighthood on the other. A school is partly supported by an allowance of £31 from the trustees of charity lands.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Oxfordshire, Haseley (Great)
England, Oxfordshire, Great Haseley – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Great Haseley, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Oxfordshire, Great Haseley – Church records ( 1 )
Great Haseley, Oxfordshire, parish registers : [parish register transcripts], 1538-1958
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Great Haseley; Goadby, F. R. L; Johnson, Joan, 1915-; Johnson, Harry
England, Oxfordshire, Great Haseley – Schools ( 1 )
Great Haseley School records, 1881-1900
Author: Great Haseley School (Oxfordshire)
Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Thame
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Cuddesdon
- Poor Law Union: Thame
- Hundred: Ewelme
- Province: Canterbury