Cuddesdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire. Denton is a chapelry of Cuddesdon.

Other places in the parish include: Chippinghurst, Chibnosse, and Chibnesse.

Alternative names: Cuddesden, Cuddesdon and Wheatley

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1541
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1724

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CUDDESDEN, a village and a parish in Headington district, Oxfordshire. The village stands near the river Thame, 1½ mile S of Wheatley r. station, and 6 SE by E of Oxford; and has a post-office under Oxford. Pop., 384. Houses, 73. The parish includes also the hamlets of Wheatley, Denton, and Chippinghurst. Acres, 2, 689. Real property, £7, 204. Pop., 1, 591. Houses, 348. The property is divided among a few. Cuddesden Palace is the seat of the Bishops of Oxford; sprang from a timber structure, erected in 1635 by Bishop Bancroft, and destroyed in 1644 by the royalist governor of Oxford, to prevent it from being garrisoned by the parliamentarians; and is a plain edifice, built in 1679 by Bishop Fell. The chapel connected with it is in the decorated English style; and was built, in 1846, by Bishop Wilberforce. The ecclesiastical training college, opposite the Palace, is also in the decorated English style; was opened in 1854; and contains a common hall, a dining hall, a chapel, and rooms for a vice-principal and 21 students. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £260. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is cruciform, with massive central tower; was built at the period of transition from Norman to early English; shows fine features of that period; and contains the grave of Bishop Bancroft, and mural monuments of Bishops Moss and Jackson. The churchyard has a touching epitaph on a daughter of Bishop Lowth. The p. curacy of Wheatley is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £45; and other charities £49.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Headington
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Cuddesdon
  • Poor Law Union: Headington
  • Hundred: Bullingdon
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts