Charlbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire. Shorthampton is a chapelry of Charlbury.

Other places in the parish include: Walcott, Walcot, Pudlicott, Finstock, Fawler, West Chadlington, East Chadlington, and Chadlington.

Alternative names: Charlbury with Shorthampton, Charlbury with Chilson

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Charlbury

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669

Finstock

  • Parish registers: 1842
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1847

Chadlington

  • Parish registers: 1567
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669

Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHARLBURY, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford. The town stands on an eminence, adjacent to the river Evenlode, and to the Oxford and Worcester railway, near Cornbury Park and Wychwood Forest, 6 miles SE of Chipping-Norton; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Enstone, a banking office, an inn, a church, several dissenting chapels, and a grammar school. The church is variously Norman, early English, and decorated; has a tower of the 13th century; and contains monuments of the Somersets and the Jenkinsons. The grammar-school has £40 a year from endowment, with two exhibitions at Brasenose college; and other charities have £70. A weekly market is held on Friday; fairs are held on 1 Jan., the second Friday in Lent, the second Friday after 13 May and 11 Oct.; and some trade is done in glove-making and leather-dressing. The parish contains also the hamlets of Finstock, Fawler, and Walcott, the tything of West Chadlington, and the chapelries of Shorthampton and East Chadlington. Acres 11,320. Real property, £15,117. Pop., 1,388. Houses, 301. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Mercian kings; was given by them to the Bishops of Lincoln; passed to the Abbey of Ensham; and went, at the dissolution, to St. John’s College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage, united to the p. curacies of Shorthampton and Chadlington, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The vicarage of Finstock is a separate benefice. The subdistrict contains eight parishes, part of another parish, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 40,288. Pop., 8,915. Houses, 1,863.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – Cemeteries ( 1 )
Transcription of the inscription on the one gravestone at the rear of the Baptist Chapel, Charlton upon Otmoor (Oxon)
Author: Eustace, Margaret; Eustace, Eric; Oxfordshire Family History Society

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Charlbury, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – Church records ( 5 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Chadlington, 1669-1851
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Chadlington (Oxfordshire)

Bishop’s transcripts for Charlbury, 1670-1851
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Charlbury

Bishop’s transcripts for Finstock, 1847-1851
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Finstock (Oxfordshire)

Burials, 1867-1886
Author: Society of Friends. Charlbury Monthly Meeting (Oxfordshire)

Chipping Norton and Stow Primitive Methodist Circuit : baptisms 1863-1930
Author: EurekA Partnership; Chipping Norton and Stow Primitive Methodist Circuit

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Chadlington, Oxon., Eng

Computer printout of Charlbury, Oxon., Eng

Parish register printouts of Charlbury, Oxford, England ; christenings, 1669-1851
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – History ( 1 )
The Charlbury of our childhood
Author: Pumphrey, Caroline

England, Oxfordshire, Charlbury – Manors – Court records ( 1 )
Court rolls for the manor of Charlbury, 1681-1900
Author: Manor of Charlbury. Court (Oxfordshire)

View Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Norton
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Chipping Norton
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Norton
  • Hundred: Banbury; Chadlington
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts