Binsey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Port Meadow.

Alternative names: Thornbury, Thorney

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1791
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1805

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BINSEY, a small village and a parish in the district of Abingdon and county of Oxford. The village stands on the right bank of the Isis, near the West Midland railway, 1½ mile NNW of Oxford. It was originally called Thorney, from a profusion of thorns around it; and it afterwards took the name of Binsey, signifying the Island of Prayer, from its being a retreat of nuns and a great resort of pilgrims. A rude church was constructed adjacent to it, about the year 730, by St. Frideswide; and this, together with a reputed holy well, drew crowds of pilgrims for ages, insomuch that 24 inns stood in the neighbourhood for their accommodation. The parish comprises 470 acres; and its Post Town is Oxford. Real property, £1,002. Pop., 67. Houses, 15. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is an ancient brick building, without a tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BINSEY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, and liberty of the city of Oxford, locally in the hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 2 miles (N. W.) from Oxford; containing 61 inhabitants. The soil is good meadow and grazing land, but the surface is in general low, and subject to inundation from the river Isis, on the banks of which the parish is mostly situated. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is of great antiquity, having belonged to the monastery of St. Friedeswide at Osney.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Abingdon
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Oxford
  • Poor Law Union: Abingdon
  • Hundred: Oxford Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts