Beckley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire. Horton cum Studley is a chapelry of Beckley.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1703
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1678; 1721

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BECKLEY, a village and a parish in Headington district, Oxford. The village stands on the line of the Roman road from Alcester to Wallingford, on an eminence overhanging the south side of Ottmoor, 3 miles SE of Islip r. station, and 5 NE of Oxford; and has a post-office under Oxford. It was the burial-place of the British saint, Donanverdh; the hereditary property of King Alfred; and the site of the castellated palace of Richard King of the Romans. The parish includes also the hamlets of Studley and Horton-cum-Studley. Acres, 4,370. Real property, £1,888. Pop., 749. Houses, 165. The surface is hilly. Various fragments of Roman pottery have been found. A Benedictine priory was founded at Studley, in the time of Henry II., by Bertrand de St. Walery; passed, at the dissolution, to the Crokes; and was converted into a dwelling-house in 1587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patron, the Rev. T. L. Cooke. The church is an interesting structure of the 14th century; and has remains of very curious frescoes, a font with ancient stone desk, and tombs of the Crokes. There are almshouses with £92, and other charities £7.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BECKLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Headington, hundred of Bullington, county of Oxford, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Wheatly; containing, with the hamlets of Studley and Horton, 763 inhabitants. The manor was part of the private property of Alfred the Great: in the thirteenth century it belonged to Richard, Earl of Cornwall, who had a castellated mansion here, formerly the residence of the barons of St. Walery, and a portion of the site of which is now occupied by a dovecote, supposed to be a relic of the fortress. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £112: it is in the patronage of the family of the incumbent, the Rev. T. L. Cooke, to whom, and the Earl of Abingdon and Sir Alexander Croke, the impropriate tithes belong. The church is in the early and decorated English styles, with an embattled tower between the nave and chancel, and contains some monuments to the Crokes, of Studley. The Roman road from Alchester to Wallingford passed through the parish, and fragments of Roman pottery have been found in the vicinity.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Headington
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1852 – Cuddesdon, Post-1851 – Islip
  • Poor Law Union: Headington
  • Hundred: Bullingdon
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts