Bampton Aston with Shifford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Oxfordshire, created in 1845 from Bampton Ancient Parish.

Until the 19th century Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney were townships in the ancient parish of Bampton. In 1866 the three civil parishes of Aston and Cote, Chimney and Shifford were separated from Bampton. In 1931 Aston and Cote and Chimney were united to form the civil parish of Aston Bampton, which was merged with Shifford in 1954 to form the parish of Aston Bampton and Shifford. The parish was later renamed Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney.

Other places in the parish include: Cote, Coate, Chimney, Burroway, Brighthampton, Aston and Cote, Aston, and Shifford.

Alternative names: Aston Bampton, Bampton Aston

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Bampton Aston with Shifford

  • Parish registers: 1837
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1843

Shifford

  • Parish registers: 1783
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Roman Catholic.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Brighthampton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRIGHTHAMPTON, a hamlet in Bampton parish, Oxford; 4 miles E of Bampton. Acres, 410. Real property, £1,033. Pop., 89. Houses, 21.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BRIGHTHAMPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Bampton, union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 4¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Witney; containing 120 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Chimney

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHIMNEY, a hamlet in Bampton parish, Oxford; on a small affluent of the river Isis, 6½ miles S of Witney. Acres, 620. Real property, £876. Pop., 27. Houses, 4.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CHIMNEY, a hamlet, in the parish and hundred of Bampton, union of Witney, county of Oxford, 6¼ miles (S. by W.) from Witney; containing 36 inhabitants. The river Isis flows past the village. An ancient chapel here was taken down in 1758.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Cote and Aston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COATE and ASTON, two hamlets in Bampton parish, Oxford; 2 miles E of Bampton. Pop., 811. Houses, 181.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ASTON, with Cote, a hamlet, in the parish and hundred of Bampton, union of Witney, county of Oxford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Witney; containing 729 inhabitants, and comprising 2017 acres, of which 630 are common or waste. A handsome chapel was built in 1839, chiefly by the three portionists of Bampton, who perform divine service. The tithes have been commuted for £556, of which £550 are payable to the portionists, and £6 to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Shifford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SHIFFORD, a chapelry in Bampton parish, Oxford; on the river Thames, 5¼ miles SSE of Witney r. station. Post town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 880. Real property, £1,070. Pop., 41. Houses, 8. A great council was held here by Alfred. The living is annexed to Bampton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHIFFORD, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Bampton, union of Witney, county of Oxford, 6 miles (S. E.) from Witney; containing 52 inhabitants. It appears from a Saxon MS. in the Cottonian library, that Alfred the Great held one of his first councils here, probably on a piece of ground near the chapel, called Court Close. The chapel is an ancient structure.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Oxfordshire Archives & Family History Groups

Oxfordshire Archives

Oxfordshire Archives Search

Oxfordshire Family History Society

GENUKI Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bonds

Oxfordshire Cemetery Records

Oxfordshire Gravestones

Oxford City Executions 1778-1921 (PDF)

Oxford Electors 1841

Visitations of Oxfordshire

Historical Directories of Oxfordshire

Oxford Directory 1783

Domesday Book Oxfordshire

History of Oxfordshire 1899

Place Names of Oxfordshire

Old Oxfordshire Maps

Oxfordshire Parish Maps

Oxford Street Plan 1872

History of the Oxfordshire Regiment of Militia 1778-1900

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry During WWII

Oxfordshire’s Regiments

Oxfordshire Roll of Honour

Oxford University Roll of Service WWI

Thames Valley Police Roll of Honour

High Sheriff of Oxfordshire

Lost Pubs of Oxfordshire

Images of Old Oxford

Old Images of Oxfordshire

Oxford University Alumni 1500-1714

Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List

Oxfordshire Surnames 1881

Oxford Hearth Tax 1665

Oxford Window Tax 1696

Cumnor Wills to 1851

Oxfordshire Probate 1550-1590

Oxfordshire Transcribed Wills

Oxfordshire Wills 1516-1857

Oxfordshire Workhouses

Banbury

Bicester

Chipping Norton

Headington

Henley

Oxford

Thame

Witney

Woodstock

Forums

RootsChat Oxfordshire

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Witney
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Witney
  • Poor Law Union: Witney
  • Hundred: Bampton (Oxfordshire)
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts