Oxfordshire is bounded, North-East by Northamptonshire, East by Buckinghamshire, South by Berkshire, and West by Gloucestershire. Its length is about 55 miles and it varies from 40 to 7 miles in breadth. It is divided into fourteen Hundreds: Bampton, Banbury, Binfield, Bloxham, Bullington, Chadlington, Dorchester, Ewelme, Lanktree, Lewknor, Pirton, Ploughley, Thame, and Wootton. Rivers: the Thame, the Isis, the Charwell, the Evenlode, and the Windrush. It has 13 Market-Towns, and contains 752 square miles, or 481,280 acres. It is in the Province of Canterbury, greater part in the Diocese of Oxford, which is the first town on the Oxford Circuit. Population, 161,643.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Oxfordshire Towns & Villages
Grafton, a township in the parish of Langford, county of Oxford; 44, miles east-north-east of Lechlade, and north of the Thames. Acreage, with the hamlet of Radcutt, 980. Houses 12. A.P. £807. Pop., in 1801, 66; in 1831, 71. Poor rates, in 1838, £62 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Last updated on February 17th, 2017
CHESTERTON, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on Akeman-street and a branch of the river Ray, near the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 14 mile WSW of Bicester. Post-town, Bicester. Acres, 2,850. Real property, £2,904. Pop., 384. Houses, 86. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is transition Norman in the nave, mixed decorated and perpendicular English in the chancel; and has a decorated tower, and three fine early English sedilia.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].