Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1595
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1626
Parishes adjacent to Shelton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Shelton, a parish, with a village, in Bingham district, Notts; 3½ miles N by E of Elton r. station, and 6¼ S by W of Newark. It has a post-office under Newark. Acres, 740. Real property, £1,939. Pop., 127. Houses, 27. The manor belongs to R. Hall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £322. Patron, G. Maltby, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SHELTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bingham, S. division of the wapentake of Newark and of the county of Nottingham, 6½ miles (S. by W.) from Newark; containing 102 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 4½.; net income, £322; patron, the Rev. J. J. Maltby. The church, a small edifice, was partly rebuilt in 1831.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Family History Links
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Bingham
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Newark
- Poor Law Union: Bingham
- Hundred: Newark
- Province: York