Dunham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire. Ragnall and Darlton are chapelries of Dunham.
Alternative names: Dunham with Darlton and Ragnall
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1641
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Newton on Trent, Lincolnshire
- Kettlethorpe with Laughterton and Fenton, Lincolnshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUNHAM, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, 5 miles ENE of Tuxford r. station, and 10 SE of East Retford; was once a market-town; and has now a fair on 12 Aug., and a post office, of the name of Dunham-on-Trent, under Newark. The parish, jointly with Ragnall, comprises 2, 030 acres. Real property of Dunham only, £2, 570. Pop., 327. Houses, 73. The land lies low; and much of it is subject to inundation. A cast-iron bridge over the Trent here was erected in 1832 by Leather; and has four arches, each 118 feet in span, and a total length of 563 feet. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Darlton and Ragnall, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £370. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was restored in 1862. There is a chapel of ease at Darlton. There are also a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: East Retford
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Southwell
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Southwell
- Poor Law Union: East Retford
- Hundred: Bassetlaw
- Province: York