Burton Joyce is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire. Bulcote is a chapelry of Burton Joyce.
Alternative names: Burton Joyce with Bulcote, Burton Lodge
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Lowdham with Gunthorpe and Caythorpe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURTON-JOYCE, a village in Basford district, and a parish in Basford and Southwell districts, Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, adjacent to the Midland railway, 5 miles NE by E of Nottingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Nottingham. The parish includes also the chapelry of Bulcote. Acres, 1,940. Real property, £3,076. Pop., 834. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the families of successively Forz, Joaz, and Stapleton. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bulcote, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £145. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is ancient but good; has a tower and spire; and contains a number of monuments. There are an Independent chapel of 1869, and a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Basford
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Nottingham
- Poor Law Union: Basford
- Hundred: Thurgarton
- Province: York