Bramcote is a chapelry of Attenborough Ancient Parish in Nottinghamshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1627
Nonconformists include: Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMCOTE, a village and a parish in the district of Shardlow, and county of Nottingham. The village stands near the verge of the county and near the Nottingham canal and the Erewash river, 1½ mile ENE of Sandiacre and Stapleford r. station, and 5 WSW of Nottingham; and has a post-office under that town. The parish comprises 1,076 acres. Real property, £3,760. Pop., 691. Houses, 147. The property is divided among-a few. Bramcote House is the seat of the Sherwins. The Hemlock stone, a Druidical monument 50 feet high, stands on a bare knoll. Much of the surface is hill and moor. Coal is found. A number of the inhabitants work in the lace and hosiery trades. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Attenborough, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church was built in 1862; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and vestry, with a tower and spire 130 feet high. The previous church contained monuments of the Handleys. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Land and property
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Shardlow
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Nottingham
- Poor Law Union: Shardlow
- Hundred: Broxtowe
- Province: York