Blyth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Torworth, Styrrup, Ranskill, Ranby, Oldcotes, Oldcoats, Oldcoates, Old Cotes, Norney, Hodsock with Goldthorpe, Hodsock, Goldthorpe, Blyth with Norney, Bilby, Barnby Moor with Bilby, and Barnby Moor.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1627
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Carlton in Lindrick
- Sutton cum Lound
- Worksop St Mary and St Cuthbert
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLYTH, a village and a township in Worksop district, Notts; and a parish in Worksop and East Retford district, Notts, and in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village occupies a gentle ascent on the Ryton rivulet, 2½ miles W by S of Ranskill r. station, and 7 NNE of Worksop; and has a post-office under Worksop. It was formerly a market-town; and it still has fairs on Holy Thursday and 20 Oct. The township includes also the hamlets of Norney and Oldcoates, and part of the hamlet of Ranby. Real property, £4,721. Pop., 698. Houses, 167. The parish includes likewise the lordship of Hodsock, and the townships of Styrrup, Barnby-Moor, Ranskill, Torworth, Austerfield, and Bawtry. Acres, 17,110. Real property, £31,057. Pop., 3,486. Houses, 784. Blyth Hall, in Blyth township, belonged formerly to the Mellishes; and is now the seat of H. H. Walker, Esq. Serlby Hall, 2 miles N of Blyth village, is the seat of Viscount Galway. The country around these seats, as well without the parks as within, is so rich and ornate as to look all like a garden. An hospital for a warden, three chaplains, and a number of leprous persons, was founded at Blyth-Spittal, to the S of Blyth village, by William de Cressy, Lord of Hodesac; but has all disappeared. A Benedictine priory was founded at Blyth village, in 1088, by Roger de Builly; and given, at the dissolution, to Richard Andrews and William Ramsden; and a part of it, called the conventual nave, still stands connected with the nave of the parish church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £751. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a noble edifice in successive characters from Norman to later English; has a very ancient tower; and contains an effigies and armorial bearings of the Mellishes. The p. curacy of Bawtry, with the p. curacy of Austerfield, is a separate benefice. There are four dissenting chapels, two public schools, and two alms-houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
The history and antiquities of the parish of Blyth, in the counties of Nottingham and York : comprising accounts of the monastery, hospital, chapels, and ancient tournament field of the parish .. Author: Raine, John
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Worksop
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Nottingham
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Retford
- Poor Law Union: Worksop
- Hundred: Bassetlaw
- Province: York