Babworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ranby, Morton Grange, Little Morton, and Great Morton.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1622
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- West Retford
- Sutton cum Lound
- Worksop St Mary and St Cuthbert
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BABWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 1¼ mile (W.) from East Retford; containing 577 inhabitants. It comprises 5882a. 3r. 38p., of which about 5028 acres are arable, 370 meadow and pasture, and 479 woodland; the surface is undulated, and the scenery enriched with wood. The Chesterfield canal bounds the parish on the north. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14. 19. 2., and in the gift of the Hon. J. B. Simpson: the tithes have been commuted for £815, and the glebe consists of 20 acres. The church is a small neat edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and has been recently repewed and beautified. Lindley Simpson, Esq., in 1781, bequeathed the profits of a share in the Chesterfield canal for the support of a school, to which also the gentry of the neighbourhood contribute. A schoolroom was built in 1836, at the expense of J. Rogers, Esq., and has been licensed for the celebration of divine service.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: East Retford
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Retford
- Poor Law Union: East Retford
- Hundred: Bassetlaw
- Province: York