Averham with Kelham, Nottinghamshire Family History Guide

Averham with Kelham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire, created in late 1500s or early 1600s from Averham Ancient Parish and Kelham Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Staythorpe and Kelham.

Alternative names: Averham

Parish church: St. Michael (Averham); St. Wilfrid (Kelham)

Parish registers begin:

Averham with Kelham

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601

Kelham

  • Parish registers: 1663
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Newark on Trent
  • Hockerton
  • Farndon
  • South Muskham
  • East Stoke
  • Park Leys
  • Rolleston
  • Upton

Parish History

Averham

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

AVERHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3¼ miles (W. by N.) from Newark; containing, with the township of Staythorpe, 264 inhabitants. This place suffered from the hostilities of the contending parties during the reign of Charles I. At the time of the siege of Newark, many skirmishes occurred here; and in 1644, the ancient manor-house, then belonging to Robert Sutton, Lord Lexington and Baron of Averham, and which had been the residence of the family from 1250, was destroyed. The parish comprises by measurement 2011 acres of fertile land; it is situated on the river Trent, and is intersected by the road from Newark to Southwell and Mansfield. The scenery is pleasing; and the village, with the church, which is on the margin of the river, forms a beautiful object in the landscape. The living is a rectory, with that of Kelham annexed in 1775, valued in the king’s books at £20; patron, John Henry Manners Sutton, Esq. The tithes of Averham have been commuted for £787, and the glebe comprises nearly 58 acres. The church is a very ancient structure, in the early English style, with a square embattled tower. There are some remains of a Roman camp and a watchtower on Michael Barrow hill.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Kelham

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

KELHAM (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Newark; containing 169 inhabitants. Charles I. slept here the evening before he gave himself up to the Scottish army, who encamped on the spot in May, 1646. The parish is on the road from Newark to Ollerton, and comprises by measurement 2013 acres: the village is delightfully situated on the river Trent, over which is a neat bridge. The farm of Grange or Park Lathes, comprising 250 acres, belonged to Rufford Abbey, and, though locally in this parish, is extra-parochial. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Averham, and valued in the king’s books at £19. 8. 4.: the tithes have been commuted for £510, and the glebe comprises 45 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a lofty square embattled tower, and contains some interesting monuments, among which is one to the last lord Lexington, who resided here, and died in 1723.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog - Free

Census

Census returns for Averham, 1841-1891

Census returns for Kelham, 1841-1891

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts of Averham , 1601-1844., 1601-1844 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Averham (Nottinghamshire)

England, Nottinghamshire, Averham, Saint Michael and All Angels parish records, 1538-1802 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Averham (Nottinghamshire); Nottinghamshire Archives Office

Marriages at Averham, 1538-1837 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Averham (Nottinghamshire)

Parish register printouts of Averham, Nottingham, England ; christenings, 1736-1856 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Bishop’s transcripts of Kelham, 1603-1856. Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Kelham (Nottinghamshire)

England, Nottinghamshire, Kelham, Saint-Wilfrid parish records, 1765-1813 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Kelham (Nottinghamshire); Nottinghamshire Archives Office

Marriages at Kelham, 1663-1837 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Kelham (Nottinghamshire)

Parish register printouts of Kelham, Nottingham, England ; christenings, 1813-1856 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Public Records

Coroners certificate for John May Field, 1856 Author: Averham (Nottinghamshire)

Administration

  • County: Nottinghamshire
  • Civil Registration District: Southwell
  • Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
  • Diocese: Lincoln
  • Rural Deanery: Newark
  • Poor Law Union: Southwell
  • Hundred: Thurgarton
  • Province: York