Attenborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire. Bramcote is a chapelry of Attenborough.
Other places in the parish include: Toton and Chilwell.
Alternative names: Attenborough with Bramcote
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ATTENBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (S. W.) from Nottingham; containing, with the township of Toton and the hamlet of Chilwell, 1036 inhabitants, of whom 124 are in the village of Attenborough. This parish, the surface of which is diversified with boldly swelling undulations, comprises about 2580 acres, whereof 1480 are in Chilwell and 1100 in Toton: the river Erewash passes through. The village has now the appearance of a lonely and deserted place, but is said to have been formerly considerable; in a field near it is the stump of the town cross, called “St. Mary’s Cross,” the numerous dwellings around which have long since disappeared. It is supposed that the liability to floods from the Trent, caused the inhabitants to fix themselves in the drier locality of Chilwell. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Bramcote annexed, valued in the king’s books at £4. 15.; net income, £250; patron and impropriator, George Saville Foljambe, Esq. The tithes of Attenborough have been commuted for £280, half payable to the trustees of the Chesterfield school, and half to the vicar: the glebe consists of about 40 acres. The church is situated at Toton, and is a large edifice, with a nave, aisles, and chancel, and a tower (with five bells) surmounted by a handsome spire; the pillars of the nave and aisles are those of a former and probably yet larger structure. In 1688, Thomas Charlton, of Chilwell, bequeathed one pound yearly to the minister, on the condition of his preaching a sermon on the 5th of November, in relation to the events which took place on that day; and several small sums were left by different members of his family, and others, which are distributed annually to the poor. Attenborough is the birthplace of Henry Ireton, son-in-law of Cromwell, and lord deputy of Ireland in the time of the Commonwealth.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Shardlow
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Nottingham
- Poor Law Union: Shardlow
- Hundred: Broxtowe
- Province: York