Askham is a chapelry of East Drayton Ancient Parish in Nottinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Rockley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1625
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- East Drayton
- West Drayton
- Headon cum Upton
- East Markham
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ASKHAM, a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¾ miles (N.) from Tuxford; containing, with Rockley hamlet, 288 inhabitants. The parish contains about 1440 acres: the surface is undulated, and the soil clayey; the village is skirted on the north by the stream called North Beck, which is subject to inundations after heavy rains. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with that of Stokeham, to the vicarage of East Drayton: two acres of land, and the tithes of hops, form the principal value of the curacy. There are almshouses for six widows.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Nottinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: East Retford
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Retford
- Poor Law Union: East Retford
- Hundred: Bassetlaw
- Province: York