Nottinghamshire is bounded, North by Yorkshire, West by Derbyshire, East by Lincolnshire, and South by Leicestershire. It is about 50 miles in length, and 25 in breadth; and is divided into six Hundreds: Rushcliff, Bingham, and Newark, on the south side of the Trent; Basset-Law (subdivided into North and South Clay, and Hatfield divisions), Broxton, Thurgarton, on the north of the Trent. Rivers: the Trent, the Erewash, the Soar, and the Idle. It has 10 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of York, in the Diocese of York, and in the Midland Circuit. It contains 837 square miles, or 535,680 acres. Population, 249,910.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.