Ulgham is a chapelry of Morpeth Ancient Parish in Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Ulgham Grange and Stobswood.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1602
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ULGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Morpeth district, Northumberland; 2 miles S of Widdrington r. station, and 4¾ NNE of Morpeth. Post town, Morpeth. Acres, 3,615. Real property, £3,293. Pop., 362. Houses, 71. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Morpeth. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There is an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ULGHAM, a parochial chapelry, in the union, and E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 368 inhabitants. This place, in the charter of Henry I. granting right of free chase on it to the Merlay family, is called Elchamp: it was formerly, in part, the property of Newminster Abbey; and the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem also held some lands here. The chapelry is situated on the road from Morpeth to Warkworth, by Widdrington; and comprises about 3409 acres, the property of Earl Grey and the Earl of Carlisle. The soil in some parts, especially about the village, is gravelly and good, but a considerable portion is stiff and clayey, which, however, under proper management, is suitable to the growth of wheat and oats, alternated with clover and fallow. Some coal-mines were possessed here by Queen Elizabeth in 1600; coal is still found in the chapelry, on the bank of the river Line, and was wrought not very long since in the immediate vicinity. There is also a quarry of freestone. According to vulgar tradition, a market was once held at Ulgham, and the stump of an ancient cross, said to have been connected with a market, still remains in the centre of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Morpeth: the tithes have been commuted for £307. The church is a plain modern edifice of stone, dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Morpeth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Morpeth
- Poor Law Union: Morpeth
- Hundred: Morpeth Ward
- Province: York