Ponteland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Milburn, Milbourne Grange, Milbourne, Low Callerton, Little Callerton, Kirkley with Benridge and Cartermoor, Kirkley, Higham Dykes, High Callerton, Darras Hall, Coldcoats, Coldcoates, Cartermoor, Berwick Hill, Benridge, Prestwick, and Milburn Grange.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1602
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PONTELAND, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Pont, 7 miles W of Dudley r. station, and 7½ N W of Newcastle; was formerly called Pont Island; had anciently a castle of the D’ Alphels; was the place where Alexander of Scotland madepeace, in 1244, with the English; and has a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and an ancient manor-house of the Erringtons, now an inn, and including some remains of the ancient castle. The township comprises 1, 733 acres. Pop., 488. Houses, 98. The workhouse of Castle Ward district is here; and, at the census of1861, had 42 inmates. The parish contains also the townships of Kirkley, Higham-Dykos, Milburn, Milburn-Grange, High Callerton, Little Callerton, Darras-Hall, Coaldcoats, and Berwick-Hill. Acres, 10,073. Real property, £18, 534; of which £110 are in mines. Pop., 1,089. Houses, 213. The manor belonged formerly to the Bertrams, the Erringtons, the Silvertops, and others; and belongs now to Admiral Mitford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £520. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is ancient; has a fine Norman W door, and a singularly large chancel; the latter was restored in 1861; and contains abeautiful piscina, and monuments of the Ogles, the Goftons, and others. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £170 a year. The sub-district contains also 5 other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 47, 568. Pop., 7, 190. Houses, 1, 470.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PONTELAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of BerwickHill, Little Callerton, Coldcoats, Darras-Hall, HighamDykes, Kirkley, Milburn, Milburn-Grange, Ponteland, part of High Callerton, and part of Prestwick; the whole containing 1094 inhabitants, of whom 424 are in Ponteland township, 7½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Newcastle, on the road to the north. The origin of this place is attributed to Elius Hadrianus by Camden, who supposes it to have been the station of the first cohort of the Cornavii. A treaty of peace was concluded here in 1244, between Henry III. and the King of Scotland; and in the following century the town and castle were burnt by the Scots, previous to the battle of Otterburn. The parish is situated on the west bank of the river Pont, from which it takes its name, and is intersected by the river Blyth; it comprises about 10,000 acres, and was originally much larger, including Dinnington, which is now a separate parish. The soil is chiefly a strong clay, well adapted for wheat, and there are extensive tracts of rich pasture; the surface is generally level. The substratum abounds with stone of good quality for building, and in the neighbourhood are some coal-mines. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £13. 6. 8.; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford. The great tithes have been commuted for £2067. 10., with a glebe of 85 acres; and the tithes of the vicar for £296. 4., with a glebe of 143 acres. The church, formerly collegiate, is partly in the Norman style, with a square tower surmounted by a low spire; it was repaired in 1810. There is a place of worship for Scottish Presbyterians; also a free school, founded in 1719 by Richard Coates, Esq., who bequeathed property now producing about £70 a year, for its support.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Castle Ward
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Poor Law Union: Castle Ward
- Hundred: Castle Ward
- Province: York