Ingram is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Reaveley, Ingham, Linhop and Greenshawhill, Ingram, Linhope and Greenshawhill, Hartside, Fawdon, Clinch and Hartside, Fawdon, and Clinch.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1682
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1766
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INGRAM, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Breamish, 4½ miles NW of Whittingham, and 11 W of Alnwick r. station; and bears the name of Ingram, Linhope, and Greenshawhill. Acres, 6, 882. Pop., 72. Houses, 10. The parish contains also the township of Reaveley, and that of Fawdon, Clinch, and Hartside; and its post town is Eglingham, under Alnwick. Acres, 11, 304. Real property, £3, 693. Pop., 200. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. Reaveley Manor is a chief residence. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Traces of an ancient British town are at Linhope; and many camps and foundations of habitations are on Ingram Hill or Brough Law. The pier of a Roman bridge, on the Breamish, near the church, was discovered in 1859, in consequence of a change in the course of the river. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £462. Patron, L. I. H. Allgood, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises only part of the original edifice; was repaired in 1858; and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
INGRAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. W.) from Whittingham; containing, with the two townships of Fawdon with Clinch and Hartside, and Reaveley, 220 inhabitants, of whom 92 are in the township of Ingram with Linop and Greenshaw-Hill. This parish comprises about 12,000 acres, of which 1100 are arable, 45 woodland and plantations, and the remainder meadow and pasture, of which about 50 acres have been converted into beds of gravel by the ravages of the floods. The surface is mountainous, and the soil extremely various. To the north of Linop is a remarkable waterfall called Linop Spout, or Roughting Linn, formed by the descent of a stream in the Cheviot hills from a rocky precipice 48 feet in perpendicular height. The village is situated on the river Breamish, which intersects the parish, and, assuming the name of the Till about four miles to the east, forms a tributary to the Tweed. The hamlet of Greenshaw-Hill lies a little to the east of Hartside, near the road between Wooler and Morpeth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £24. 16 8.; net income, £462; patron, R. L. Allgood, Esq.: the glebe consists of 42 acres. The tithes of Ingram township have been commuted for £140. The church is an ancient structure of early English architecture; but from frequent alterations and repairs, conducted without the slightest regard to harmony of style, very few traces of its original character remain. At Greenshaw-Hill opposite to Linop, are still considerable remains of a British city, notwithstanding the removal of many thousand cart-loads of stones, for the construction of fences; and at each side of the entrance of the valley leading to the city is a British camp in a very perfect state About three miles to the north-west of Linop are the Cardlaw cairns, sepulchral monuments of the earliest inhabitants of the island. From the traces of foundations of buildings in various parts, and from the indications of early cultivation on the sides of the hills, there is every reason to infer that the parish was formerly much more populous than it is at present.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Rothbury
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
- Province: York