Ilderton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: South Middleton near Wooler, South Middleton, Rosedon, Roseden, Rodham, Roddam, Plea Piece, North Middleton near Wooler, North Middleton, and Middleton Hall.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1724
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1765
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ILDERTON, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies under the Cheviots, 5 miles SSE of Wooler, and 12½ NW by W of Alnwick r. station. Pop., 124. Houses, 22. The parish contains also the townships of Roseden, Roddam, Middleton Hall, North Middleton, and South Middleton. Post town, Wooler, under Alnwick. Acres, 9, 670. Real property, £7, 820. Pop., 571. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The manor anciently belonged to the Ildertons. Much of the surface is upland. Hedgehope mountain has an altitude of 2, 347 feet. A Druidical circle of 10 stones is under Hedgehope; and an ancient camp is on Roseden Edge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is modern, and has a tower, part of which is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ILDERTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland; consisting of the townships of Ilderton, Middleton-Hall, North and South Middleton, Roddam, and Roseden; and containing 585 inhabitants, of whom 121 are in the township of Ilderton, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Wooler. The parish is intersected by the Coldgate, Lilburn, Roddam, and several minor streams, and comprises by computation 13,000 acres, of which about 5000 are in Ilderton township; of the latter, 1000 acres are arable, 60 wood, and 3940 moorland. The eastern portion has a light, gravelly, sharp soil, and the western portion is chiefly moss, heather, and bent; the surface is hilly, and in some parts mountainous. The road from Edinburgh to Newcastle passes through, and the river Breamish on the south side. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4; net income, £96; patron, the Duke of Northumberland: the glebe contains about 50 acres. The church is a modern edifice, situated on an eminence, and consisting of a nave, chancel, and square tower. A parsonage-house was built in 1843. On Roseden-Edge are the remains of a square encampment; and between the village of Ilderton and Hedgehope is a temple of the Druids, consisting of ten large unequal stones, placed in the form of an oval, 38 yards in diameter from east to west, and 33 from north to south.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
- Province: York