Humshaugh, Northumberland Family History Guide

Humshaugh is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1832 from chapelry in Simonburn Ancient Parish.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1818
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1818

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HUMSHAUGH, a village and a township chapelry in Simonburn parish, Northumberland. The village stands near the Roman wall and the river North Tyne, 1½ mile W of Chollerford r. station, and 5 N-W by N of Hexham; and has a post office under Hexham. The chapelry extends to the North Tyne, and includes the mansion of Chesters, the seat of John Clayton, Esq., with the rich and interesting remains of the Roman station of Cilurnum. Pop., 443. Houses, 85. The manor belonged formerly to the Swinburnes. Limestone is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £120. Patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is a neat modern edifice, in the Saxon style.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HUMSHAUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Simonburn, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 411 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is bounded on the east by the North Tyne, and on the south by the old Roman wall, comprises by measurement 2710 acres. Limestone is abundant, and is quarried chiefly for agricultural purposes. Humshaugh House commands fine views of the North Tyne. The living is a perpetual curacy; patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for £198, payable to the rector of Simonburn, by whom the curate’s stipend of £120 is paid; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The chapel (a neat cruciform structure) and the parsonage-house were erected, and a cemetery formed, in 1818, at an expense of about £4000.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Hexham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Bellingham
  • Poor Law Union: Hexham
  • Hundred: Tynedale Ward
  • Province: York