High Elswick St Paul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1846 from Newcastle upon Tyne St John Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Elswick
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1872
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
- Whickham, Durham
- Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew
- Newcastle upon Tyne St John
- Gateshead St Mary, Durham
- Benwell St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELSWICK, a township in Newcastle-St. John parish, and three chapelries partly also in N. - St. Nicholas parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 1 mile W of Newcastle. Post town, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 783; of which 63 are water. Pop. in 1851, 3, 539; in 1861, 14, 345. Houses, 2, 227. The manor belonged to Tynemouth priory; and passed to successively the Jennisons and the Hodgsons. Elswick Hall is a chief residence. Coal and stone are plentiful; and the former was worked as early as the 14th century. Extensive lead-works, the extensive ordnance and engineering works of Sir William Armstrong, and various other manufactories, employ most of the inhabitants. The great increase of population between 1851 and 1861 arose from the operations of Sir William Armstrong’s works, and from facilities for building. The Newcastle work-house is here.-The chapelries are St. Paul, St. Stephen, and St. Philip; and the first was constituted in 1846, the other two in 1868. Pop. of the whole, 22, 275. St. Paul’s is a vicarage, the others p. curacies, in the diocese of Durham. Value of St. Paul, £300; of St. Stephen, £300; of St. Philip, £200. Patrons of St. Paul, Trustees; of St. Stephen, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. St. Paul’s church was built in 1860, at a cost of £4, 500.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ELSWICK, a township, in the parish of St. John The Baptist, Newcastle, union of Newcastle, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 1789 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlet of Low Elswick, and comprises 938 acres, is within the borough of Newcastle, adjoining the town on the west, and containing many good streets and villas, and some very extensive manufacturing establishments. The rural part rises beautifully from the northern bank of the river Tyne, towards Benwell, and consists chiefly of arable land, rich and fertile. Large collieries are in operation in the neighbourhood; and in a place called the Quarry field, abundance of good stone is obtained for building. On the Tyne is an establishment for the manufacture of whitelead, red-lead, litharge, sheet and pipe lead, and patent shot, the tower for which last, erected in 1796, is 175 feet high: these works were commenced in 1778, and are of greater magnitude than any others in the kingdom. Messrs. Lister and Sons established a crucible factory in 1831; and there are copperas-works, on a very large scale. Elswick House is a noble mansion, commanding beautiful views of the vale of the Tyne, Axwell Park, Gibside, Ravensworth Castle, and the whole range of the Gateshead hills. A church district named St. Paul’s, High Elswick, was endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Durham, alternately.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Poor Law Union: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Hundred: Castle Ward
- Province: York