Hebron is a chapelry of Bothal Ancient Parish in Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Fenrother, Earsdon Forest, Earsdon, Cockle Park, and Causey Park.
Alternative names: Hebburn, Hebburn near Morpeth
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1725
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1773
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEBBURN, or Hebron, a township and a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland. The township lies near the Northeastern railway, 2½ miles N of Morpeth; and includes a lofty eminence, called Hebburn-Shaw, which commands an extensive view, and was formerly used as an alarm beacon. Acres, 972. Pop., 125. Houses, 19. The parish contains also the townships of Cockle-Park, Tritlington, Earsdon, Earsdon-Forest, Fenrother, and Causey-Park. Post town, Morpeth. Acres, 7, 696. Real property, £4, 320. Pop., 595. Houses, 108. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bothal, in the diocese of Durham. The church was rebuilt in 1793.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HEBBURN, a chapelry or parish, in the union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 633 inhabitants, of whom 124 are in the township of Hebburn, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Morpeth. It comprises the townships of Causey-Park, Cockle-Park, Earsdon, Earsdon-Forest, Fenrother, Hebburn, and Tritlington, and has the great road from London to Edinburgh running through it for above four miles; the whole lies high, and where the aspect is eastern the sea is visible. In Hebburn town ship are 970a. 2r. 14p., of which 849 acres are in tillage, 110 in grass, and 11 wood; the soil is of a rich clayey quality, well suited for tillage or pasturage. The village consists of a few farmhouses and cottages, standing in good gardens, and Hebburn hill, which had formerly a beacon upon it, shelters it well from the north. The tithes have been commuted for £174. 7. The chapel or church, which is subordinate to the church of Bothal, was rebuilt in 1793, at a cost of £700; it is bald and plain, but the masonry and interior fittings are good: the nave is 55, and the chancel 25, feet long. In levelling a road some years since, four cannon-balls were found buried in the earth.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Morpeth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Morpeth
- Poor Law Union: Morpeth
- Hundred: Morpeth Ward
- Province: York