Hartburn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Whitridge, West Shaftoe, Wallington Demesne, Todridge, South Middleton, Rothley, North Middleton, Longshaw, Long Witton, Highlaws, High Angerton, Harwood, Hartington Hall, Hartington, Hartburn Grange, Greenleighton, Favinley, Fairnley, East Thornton with Mulldon-Park Corner, East and West Thornton, East Shaftoe, Deanham, and Corridge.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1769
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARTBURN, a township in Morpeth district, and a parish partly also in Castle-Ward and Rothbury districts, Northumberland. The township lies on the Hart burn stream, 1 mile N of Angerton r. station and 8 W of Morpeth; and it has a post-office under Morpeth. Pop., 31. Houses, 7. The parish contains also the townships of Hartburn-Grange, Whitridge, Cambo, WallingtonDemesne, Deanham, Todridge, North Middleton, South Middleton, Highlaws, Corridge, Low Angerton, High Angerton, East Thornton, West Thornton, Long Witton, East Shaftoe, West Shaftoe, Greenleighton, Harwood, Hartington, Hartington-Hall, Rothley, and Fairnley. Acres, 25, 778. Real property, £17, 090; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 1, 526. Houses, 276. The property is not much divided. Most of the land is in pasture. Coal, limestone, and lead ore are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £650. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but very good; has a square tower; and contains a monument to Hodgson, the historian of Northumberland, a monument by Chantrey to Lady Bradford, and a memorial window of 1853 to Sir Thomas Bradford. Hodgson and Archdeacon Sharp were vicars; and the latter built a quaint Gothic tower, now used as a school House. The vicarage of Cambo is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HARTBURN, a parish, in the unions of Castle ward, Morpeth, and Rothbury, chiefly in the W. division of Morpeth ward, but partly in the N. E. division of Tindale ward, N. and S. divisions of Northumberland; containing 1322 inhabitants, of whom 30 are in the township of Hartburn, 7 miles (W.) from Morpeth. This parish comprises the townships of High and Low Angerton, Cambo, Corridge, Deanham, Favinley, Greenleighton, Hartburn, Hartburn-Grange, Hartington, Hartington-Hall, Harwood, Highlaws, Long Witton, North and South Middleton, Rothley, East and West Shaftoe, East and West Thornton, Todridge, Wallington, and Whitridge. It is of very irregular form, nearly 11 miles in length, and 6 in mean breadth, and comprises about 40,000 acres, of which 105 are in the township of Hartburn. The surface is agreeably diversified with hill and dale, and the soil is various; the lands are wholly inclosed, excepting Harwood township, and nearly all profitable for almost every description of husbandry. The lower grounds are watered by the rivers Hart and Wansbeck. Stone of different kinds is quarried; and there are some lead-mines and coal-pits in operation. The village of Hartburn consists of the church, the parsonage, called Hartburn Tower, the school-houses, glebe farmhouses, and two cottages; which stand on the rocky and steep banks of the burn from which the place derives its name. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £20. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, with a gross income of about £800; John Clayton and Isaac Cookson, Esqrs., and others, are impropriators. The late Rev. John Hodgson, the learned author of six 4to. volumes of a highly valuable History of Northumberland, was vicar. The church, a venerable structure romantically situated, consists of a chancel, nave, and aisles, with a porch and tower; on the south side of the altar are a piscina, and three stalls with pointed arches. Cambo chapel was beautifully rebuilt in 1843.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Morpeth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Morpeth
- Poor Law Union: Morpeth
- Hundred: Morpeth Ward; Tynedale Ward
- Province: York