Greenhead is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1831 from Haltwhistle Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Thirlwall with Gilsland Spa, Thirlwall, and Blenkinsopp.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1862
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Nether Denton, Cumberland
- Lanercost with Kirkcambeck, Cumberland
- Over Denton, Cumberland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREENHEAD, a village and a chapelry in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the Tippal burn, adjacent to the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, gear the Roman wall, 3½ miles W by N of Haltwhistle; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Carlisle. The chapelry is annexed to the vicarage of Haltwhistle, in the diocese of Durham; but, prior to 1865, was a separate charge, of the value of £90, in the patronage of J. Hope Wallace, Esq. The church is modern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GREENHEAD, a village, in the township of Blenkinsopp, parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Haltwhistle. This village is situated on the west side of the Tippal burn, at the junction of the military road with the high road from Newcastle to Carlisle, and is intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, which attains its summit level about a mile and a half to the north-west. A chapel was completed in 1828, chiefly through the exertions of the late Bishops Barrington and Van Mildert, the Earl of Carlisle, and Colonel Coulson, of Blenkinsopp Hall, who contributed £50 each, and the late Rev. Mr. Hollingsworth, vicar of Haltwhistle, who gave £200. It is a neat structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 300 sittings, of which the greater number are free; the east window is embellished with the armorial bearings of Bishop Barrington, Lord Carlisle, and Col. Coulson. The living is in the patronage of the vicar of Haltwhistle; net income, £50.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Haltwhistle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Hexham
- Poor Law Union: Haltwhistle
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York