Gosforth is a chapelry of Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas Ancient Parish in Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: West Brunton, South Gosforth, North Gosforth, Kenton, Fawdon, Fawden, East Brunton, East and West Kenton, and Coxlodge.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1697
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
- Long Benton
- Newcastle upon Tyne All Saints
- Byker St Michael
- Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew
- Benwell St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GOSFORTH, two townships and a parish in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The townships are South G. and North G.; and they lie 3 and 4 miles N of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and have a station on the Newcastle and Blyth railway. Acres, 436 and 1, 066. Pop., 248 and 197. Houses, 50 and 40. The parish contains also the townships of East Brunton, West Brunton, Coxlodge, Fawdon, and Kenton; the last of which has a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 6, 355. Real property, £26, 585; of which £9, 981 are in mines and £270 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2, 337; in 1861, 2, 943. Houses, 643. The manor belonged to the Surtees and the Lisles; and passed to the Brandlings. Gosforth House is a structure of last century; stands amid grounds pleasantly adorned with wood and water, and broadly engirdled with plantation; and was the scene of some of George Stephenson’s displays of ingenuity, when he lived at Killingworth. Coal is extensively worked. The living of Gosforth is a vicarage, and that of North Gosforth, constituted in 1865, is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Durham. Value of the former, £300; of the latter, £150. Patron of the former, the Bishop of D.; of the latter, T. E. Smith, Esq. Gosforth church was not long ago rebuilt. There two charity schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GOSFORTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union, and partly in the E. and partly in the W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of North and South Gosforth in the former, and of East and West Brunton, Coxlodge, Fawdon, and East and West Kenton, in the latter, division; and containing 3020 inhabitants, of whom 132 are in North Gosforth, 4½ miles (N.), and 224 in South Gosforth, 2¾ miles (N. by E.), from Newcastle. The former township, which contains 737 acres, was held of the crown by the Surtees family from 1100 to 1509, when it passed by marriage to Robert Brandling, who was knighted at the battle of Musselburgh: the latter township, consisting of 420 acres, anciently belonged to the family of Lisle. The parish is of considerable extent, and rich in mineral produce; the surface, though generally level, has a gradual rise towards the north and west, and the soil is clayey. A colliery was commenced in 1825, and the coal was reached in February, 1829; nearly 450 persons are employed upon the works. Gosforth House, erected in 1760, after a design by Payne, is a large and elegant structure of white freestone, and from its situation has a commanding appearance: a fine fish-pond, covering 53 acres, is the resort of innumerable flocks of water-fowl. The living is annexed to the vicarage of St. Nicholas, Newcastle: the church, which is in South Gosforth, was rebuilt in 1798, and enlarged in 1819, and is a neat edifice, with a square tower surmounted by an octagonal spire. The tithes of North and South Gosforth have been commuted for £107 payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, £107 to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £44 to the incumbent. A chapel at North Gosforth has been demolished.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Castle Ward
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Poor Law Union: Castle Ward
- Hundred: Castle Ward
- Province: York