Ford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Kimmerston and Broomridge, Kimmerston, Heatherslaw and Flodden, Ford Forge, Ford Common, and Etal.
Alternative names: Ford with Etal
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1683
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Presbyterian Church in England, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Glendale district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Till, 6¼ miles ESE of Cornhill r. station, and 7½ NNW of Wooler; was once a market-town; consists of neat modern cottages, in one irregular street; commands a fine view along the valley of the Till; and has a post-office under Coldstream. The parish contains also the villages of Etal and Ford-Forge. Acres, 11, 464. Real property, £18, 270; of which £500 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 322; in 1861, 2, 072. Houses, 407. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by the closing of a colliery, and the reducing of an extensive spade and shovel factory. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Fords; passed to the Herons, the Blakes, and the Delavals; and belongs now to the Marquis of Waterford. Ford Castle stands on the west side of the village; was built in 1287, by Sir William Heron, rebuilt in 1764, by Lord Delaval, and restored in 1863, by the Marchioness of Waterford; retains two towers of the original edifice; was a place of strength and a scene of conflict, in the Border warfare; and was taken by James IV. of Scotland before the battle of Flodden. Coal, slate, limestone, and freestone are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1, 380. Patron, the Marquis of Waterford. The church is ancient; was restored in 1852; and contains the tomb of Lord Frederick Fitzclarence, who died in 1854. The p. curacy of Etal is a separate charge. There are three dissenting chapels, and a national school. The sub-district contains also three other parishes and part of a fourth. Acres, 59, 774. Pop., 6, 833. Houses, 1, 321.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and W. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Wooler; containing 2257 inhabitants. On the western side of the village is Ford Castle, erected in 1287 by Sir William Heron, and rebuilt by the late Lord Delaval; two towers, the remains of the former castle, are retained in the present structure. The castle was demolished by the Scots in 1385, under the Earls of Fife, March, and Douglas; prior to the battle of Flodden, it was captured by James IV.’s troops; and in 1549 it was again taken by the Scots, who destroyed a great part of it. The parish contains a considerable quantity of coal, limestone, whinstone, freestone, and slate. Courts leet and baron are held about Easter. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £24; patron, the Marquess of Waterford. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, and several charity schools. Flodden-Field, in the parish, was the scene of the celebrated battle fought on the 9th of Sept. 1513, by the Scots under James IV., and the English commanded by the Earl of Surrey, the former of whom were defeated, and their king slain; the top of the hill is now covered with fir-trees. As some workmen were digging in a field near Flodden, in 1810, they discovered a large pit filled with human bones.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Norham
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Glendale Ward
- Province: York