Fenton is a chapelry of Wooler Ancient Parish in Northumberland.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FENTON, a township in Wooler parish, Northumberland; near the river Till, 4¼ miles NNW of Wooler. Pop., 205.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FENTON, a township, in the parish of Wooler, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, county of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Wooler; containing 205 inhabitants. This township, which once constituted a separate parish, but was united to Wooler in 1313, is supposed to have been the place where St. Ninian commenced his labours, about 420, in converting the natives of Northumberland and the south of Scotland to Christianity, having proceeded from his own country, North Wales, for the purpose. In confirmation of this conjecture, is the fact, that a fair annually held here, on September 27th, for cattle, sheep, and horses, has long been called St. Ninian’s fair; and an old well continues to be termed St. Ninian’s well.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Glendale Ward
- Province: York