Felton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland. Longframlington is a chapelry of Felton.
Other places in the parish include: Eshott, Eshot, Elyhaugh, East and West Thirston with Shothaugh and Felton Path, East and West Thirston with Shothaugh, Bockenfield, Acton and Old Felton, Swarland, Path Foot, Green and Glantlies, Greens and Glantlees, Felton Peth, and Felton Path.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1765
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Presbyterian Church in England, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FELTON, a township in Alnwick district, and a parish partly also in Morpeth district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 3¾ miles SW of Acklington r. station, and 9 S of Alnwick; has a post office under Acklington, and a three-arched bridge over the Coquet; and enjoys picturesque scenery along that river’s winding course. The parish contains also the townships of Elyhaugh, Swarland, Bockenfield, Eshott, Greens and Glantlees, Acton and Old Felton, and East and West Thirston-with-Shothaugh. Acres, 12, 830. Real property, £12, 224; of which £104 are in mines. Pop., 1, 591. Houses, 307. The property is not much divided. Felton Hall was built by the Widdringtons; and passed to the Riddells. The barons of Northumberland did homage at Old Felton, in 1216, to Alexander of Scotland; and King John was so enraged at their conduct as to devastate the place. An obelisk to the memory of Lord Nelson, erected by Sir W. Davison, is at Swarland. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Long Framlington, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £275. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; . and there are chapels for Presbyterians and Roman Catholics and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FELTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, comprising the townships of Felton, Elyhaugh, Swarland, Acton with Old Felton, and Greens with Glantlees, in the E. division of Coquetdale ward; and the townships of Bockenfield, Eshott, and East and West Thriston with Shot-haugh, in the E., and Brinkburn South-Side, in the W., division of Morpeth ward; N. division of Northumberland; the whole containing 1585 inhabitants, of whom 623 are in the township of Felton, 9 miles (S.) from Alnwick. The parish consists of 14,687 acres, the soil of which is various, but chiefly incumbent upon strong clay, and well suited for the growth of grain: there are some seams of coal, but none has been wrought of late years. Fairs for cattle, sheep, &c., are held on the first Mondays in May and November. The village is pleasantly situated on a steep acclivity, which rises from the north side of the Coquet river; the houses are built on each side of the great north road, with the exception of a few that branch off at the south end of the village, where the river is crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. King John caused a village here to be burnt, in 1216, as a punishment to the barons of Northumberland, who had done honour on the spot to Alexander, King of Scotland. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Long Framlington annexed, valued in the king’s books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £275; impropriator, Col. Davison. The church stands on an eminence on the north side of the Coquet, which winds beautifully through the parish. There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Alnwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Alnwick
- Poor Law Union: Alnwick
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward; Morpeth Ward
- Province: York