Embleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Stamford, Craster, Dunston, Newton-by-the-Sea, Fallowden, Rock, Rennington, Broxfield, and Brunton
Parish church: St. Mary / Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EMBLETON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The village stands near the coast, 1½ mile ESE of Christon-Bank r. station, and 6½ NE by N of Alnwick; is irregularly built; and has a post office under Chathill The township includes the village, and comprises 1, 978 acres of land and 418 of water. Pop., 727. Houses, 155. The parish contains also the townships of Stamford, Craster, Dunston, Newton-by-the-Sea, Falloden, Rock, Rennington, Broxfield, and Brunton. Acres, 13,228. Real property, £16,333; of which £150 are in mines. Pop., 2,302. Houses, 450. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Tankerville. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £815. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is a fine old structure; has an embattled tower; and was restored in 1850. The parsonage was anciently fortified, and has still a machicolated tower. Charities, £22. The p. curacies of Rock and Rennington are separate benefices. The sub-district contains also Edlingham, Howick, and Long Houghton parishes. and five townships of two other parishes. Acres, 50,587. Pop., 6,063. Houses, 1,195.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Fallowdon, a township, in the parish of Embleton, union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (N. N. E.) from Alnwick; containing 113 inhabitants. About the close of the 17th century this was the estate of the Salkeld family, from whom it passed to Thomas Wood, Esq., who died in 1764; his heiress, Hannah, married Sir Henry Grey, Bart., and from him it has descended to its present possessor of the same name. Sir Henry has a seat here, beautifully situated amongst extensive and thriving plantations, and many fine specimens of timber surround the mansion, one of which, an evergreen oak, is considered one of the finest in the kingdom. A rent-charge of £5 was bequeathed by Mr. Wood, for the education of children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833
Fallowdon, co. Northumberland.
P. T. Alnwick (308) 7 m. NNE. Pop. 112.
A township in the parish of Embleton and south division of Bambrough ward. It is now the property of the Hon. Henry George Grey, brother to the present Earl Grey, and is subject to a rent-charge of 5l. per annum, for the education of poor children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Alnwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Alnwick
- Poor Law Union: Alnwick
- Hundred: Bamburgh Ward
- Province: York