Edlingham, Northumberland Family History Guide

Table of Contents

Edlingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Lemmington Mills, Lemmington with Battle Bridge and Lemmington Mills, Lemmington, Learchild, Broome Park, Broom Park, Bolton, Battle Bridge, Abbewick, and Abberwick.

Alternative names: Eddingham

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. John the Baptist

Parish registers begin:

Edlingham:

  • Parish registers: 1658
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760

Bolton:

  • Parish registers: 1824
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

Edlingham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EDLINGHAM, a township and a parish in Alnwick district Northumberland. The township lies near Avdon forest, 6 miles SE of Alnwick town and r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 5,636. Pop., 133. Houses, 29. The parish contains also the townships of Abberwick, Lemmington, Learchild, Broom-Park, and Bolton. Acres, 12,348. Real property, £7,029. Pop., 676. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. A castle of the Swinbornes stood here, and some ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bolton, in the diocese of Durham. Value, 483. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Abberwick

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Abberwick, a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Alne, 3½ miles W of Alnwick. Acres, 1,673. Pop, 133. Houses, 26.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The National Gazetteer 1868

Abberwick, a tnshp. in the par. of Edlingham and north div. of Coquetdale ward, union of Alnwick, in the co. of Northumberland, 3 miles W. of Alnwick. It is situated on the river Alne.

Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Abberwick, a township, in the parish of Edlingham, union of Alnwick, N division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 4 miles (W.) from Alnwick; containing 170 inhabitants. It includes the north-eastern part of the parish, adjoining Alnwick moor; and near it runs the river Aln, which is here joined by the Lemmington brook.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Abberwick, a township in the parish of Edlingham, northern division of Coquetdale ward, Northumberland; 4 miles north-west of Alnwick. Pop., in 1801, 99; in 1831, 135. Houses 26. Poor rates, in 1837, £45.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Abberwick, co. Northumherland.

P. T. Alnwick (311). Pop. 125.

A township in the parish of Edlingham, North Coquetdale Ward.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Birth Marriage & Death

Census

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Northumberland
Civil Registration District: Alnwick
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Durham
Rural Deanery: Alnwick
Poor Law Union: Alnwick
Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
Province: York