Doddington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1775 from chapelry in Chatton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Yearle, Yeard-hill, Nesbit, Humbleton, Ewart, Earle, and Earl.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1765
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DODDINGTON, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies near the river Till, 3¼ miles N of Wooler, and 8½ SW of Beal r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 4, 798. Pop., 381. Houses, 74. The parish contains also the townships of Nesbit, Ewart, Humbleton, and Earl. Acres, 9, 110. Real property, £10, 182. Pop., 795. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, 360. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is early English, and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DODDINGTON, a parish, in the union and E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 941 inhabitants, of whom 441 are in the township of Doddington, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Wooler. This place was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Chatton, from which it was separated in 1725, and constituted a distinct parish. It includes the townships of Earl or Yeard-Hill, Ewart, Humbleton, and Nesbit, and comprises about 9110 acres of fertile land, chiefly of a light sandy soil; the surface is generally level, but diversified with hills at Humbleton and Earl, and to the east and north of Doddington and Nesbit. Coal is wrought, and excellent freestone obtained in abundance. The township of Doddington is the property of the Earl of Tankerville, and part of the haugh lands within it, and in the township of Ewart, are equal to any tillage land in England in point of fertility. The village is pleasantly situated between two branches of a small rivulet which falls into the Till about a mile south-south-west of the church, and near it is a considerable spring, which turns a corn-mill. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland, and has a net income of £180; impropriators, the landowners of the several townships. The church was enlarged by the rebuilding of the chancel in 1838, at a cost of £456; it is a neat structure with a campanile turret, and contains 210 sittings, of which 150 are free: there are some handsome monuments to the St. Paul family.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Glendale Ward
- Province: York