Dinnington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1818 from Ponteland Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Woolsington, Prestwick Carr, Prestwick, Mason, Horton Grange, and Brenkley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1835
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1835
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
- Long Benton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DINNINGTON, a township and a parish in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The township lies near the source of the river Pont, 5 miles W of Dudley r. station, and 6½ NNW of Newcastle-on-Tyne; and has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres, 812. Pop., 284. Houses, 59. The parish includes also the townships of Horton-Grange, Brenkley, Mason, Woolsington, and Prestwick; and was formerly part of Ponteland parish. Acres, 5, 538. Rated property, £6, 000. Pop., 774. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £160. Patron, M. Bell, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DINNINGTON, a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 761 inhabitants. This place formed part of the parish of Ponteland until 1834, when by act of parliament it became distinct. It comprises the townships of Dinnington, Mason, Brenkley; Horton-Grange, Woolsington, the eastern moiety of Prestwick, and the farm of Sunnyside; and contains 5700 acres, exclusively of Prestwick Carr, which covers 600 acres in this parish, and 500 in that of Ponteland. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and of a strong soil, adapted to the growth of wheat, and the surface is generally level. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Matthew Bell, Esq., with a net income of £200, and a good parsonage-house and garden, finely situated on the eastern extremity of Prestwick Carr, and about a quarter of a mile from the village of Dinnington. In 1853, on the expiration of a lease, the benefice will be augmented with the rectorial tithes, which have been conveyed to the vicar by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford, the appropriators. The church, erected in 1834, at the cost of £1000, on a site presented by Mr. Bell, is a very neat edifice, with a lofty castellated tower and lancet windows, and contains 300 sittings, of which 150 are free. A few years since, foundations and fragments of an ancient building, supposed to have been a chapel, were discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Castle Ward
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
- Poor Law Union: Castle Ward
- Hundred: Castle Ward
- Province: York