Cramlington, Northumberland Family History Guide

Cramlington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1742 from chapelry in Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas Ancient Parish.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1665
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Stannington
  • Horton
  • Earsdon
  • Long Benton
  • Sighill

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CRAMLINGTON, a chapelry in St. Andrew parish, Northumberland; on the North Eastern railway, near the river Blythe, 6¾ miles SSE of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Cramlington, Northumberland. Acres, 3, 492. Real property, £37, 417; of which £25, 451 are in mines. Pop., 3, 301. Houses, 675. The property is divided among three. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100. Patron, Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. A new church, at a cost of about £3, 000, was built in 1868.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

CRAMLINGTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. W.) from Earsdon; containing 2657 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3357 acres, of which 2640 are arable, 600 pasture, and 110 woodland. The surface presents the appearance of a ridge, having a descent both to the north and south; the soil is strong, and for the most part wet, unless where drained, owing to a bed of blue clay, from 30 to 110 feet in depth, lying immediately beneath. The views are very extensive: to the south and west are seen the churches and buildings of Newcastle, and the valley of the Tyne; on the east the ports of Seaton-Sluice and Blyth, and the sea; and to the north the Simonside hills. The chapelry is intersected by the Newcastle and Bedlington road, and the great north road passes to the west, within one mile of the village, which is situated on a pleasant slope, and has gradually risen to its present improved state from the opening of the adjacent coal-mines. Excellent freestone, also, is in abundance. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £66, and in the gift of Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart.; the tithes have been commuted for £266. 13. payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, a similar sum to the Dean and Chapter, and £102 to Sir M. W. Ridley. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. In the black shale, which usually forms the roof of each seam of coal in the mines, shells of the class unio are frequently met with; while palmæ, fernæ, and equisetæ are not uncommon: the water from the mines holds in solution carbonate of iron.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Tynemouth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Poor Law Union: Tynemouth
  • Hundred: Castle Ward
  • Province: York