Corsenside is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1728 from Alwinton with Holystone Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: West Woodburn, Lisleburn, Linhead, East Woodburn, and Chesterhope.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1715
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CORSENSIDE, a parish in Bellingham district, Northumberland; on Watling-street and the river Reed, around Woodburn r. station, and 5½ miles NE of Bellingham. It includes the villages of East Woodburn and West Woodburn; the last of which has a post office under Hexham. Acres, 11, 132. Real property, £5, 175. Pop., 505. Houses, 108. The property is much sub-divided. Ironstone and limestone occur, and have been largely worked. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the dio. of Durham. Value, £275. Patron, William Bewicke, Esq. The church is ancient, and was reported in 1859 as bad.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CORSENSIDE, a parish, in the union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 17 miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 1108 inhabitants. This parish, anciently Crossan-set (the place of the crosses), lies on the Watlingstreet, and comprises by measurement 7840 acres, of which about 2500 are arable, 5000 pasture, and 340 wood. On the east and west sides the land is bleak, moorish, and sterile, but along the banks of the Rede the soil is light, dry, and gravelly, producing good crops of grass and corn; the surface is in general rugged in the extreme, and the scenery uninteresting, except during the summer, when, in the vicinity of Woodburn, it becomes highly picturesque. There are several quarries of excellent limestone and freestone; seams of coal in different places; and an extensive mine of iron-ore of superior quality. An iron-foundry employs between 200 and 300 hands. The parish contains the beautiful hamlet of West Woodburn, and that of East Woodburn, the latter chiefly remarkable for having been the residence of the distinguished family of De Lisle. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, in 1736, by the Aynsley family, and in the patronage of Messrs. Tweddell: the tithes have been commuted for £184, and the glebe consists of 84 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is a small ancient edifice; one of the Umfrevilles gave the advowson and impropriation of it to the convent of Hallystone, which, about 1240, held “Cressenset” in pure alms, of Gilbert de Umfreville. A large quantity of iron-ore, supposed to have been dug up by the Romans, who had iron-works here, was found on the surface near the parish borders; tumuli are frequently met with near the river, and many vases have been discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Bellingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bellingham
- Poor Law Union: Bellingham
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York