Cornhill on Tweed is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1730 from chapelry in Norham Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Cornhill
Parish church: St. Helen
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CORNHILL, a village and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, about a mile from the Tweed, and 5¾ SSW of Norham. It has a station on the railway, which serves for the neighbouring Scotch town of Coldstream; has also a good inn, and a fair on 6 Dec.; and is a good centre for anglers. The chapelry comprises 4, 746 acres; and its post town is Coldstream. Real property, £7, 989. Pop., 853. Houses, 167. The property is divided among a few. Traces exist of a castle taken by the Scots in 1549. There is a mineral well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham-Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is early English, and was repaired in 1840.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CORNHILL, a parish, in the union of Berwickupon-Tweed, in Norhamshire, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Coldstream; containing 823 inhabitants. It comprises about 4430 acres, of which the soil is productive and chiefly arable, and the scenery of a romantic character. The village, which is pretty and salubrious, is separated from Scotland by the Tweed only; Coldstream is the first town over the border, and the river is crossed by a noble stone bridge. There is a good hotel for the sporting gentlemen who resort here to hunt in great numbers during the winter months. A fair is held on December 6th. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who are the appropriators. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, was rebuilt in 1751, when a stone coffin, containing fragments of a human skeleton, and two urns of coarse earthenware, were found; it was again partly rebuilt in 1840, at a cost of about £500, and is principally in the early English style, with a campanile bell-tower. The castle here was demolished by the Scots in 1385, and again in 1549, when a considerable booty fell into their possession; the remains are built up in a modern mansion. To the southeast is an encampment of unusual construction; and a quarter of a mile westward is another large collection of earth-works, the most remarkable north of the Wall for variety and extent. In a wood is St. Helen’s well, the water of which is serviceable in scorbutic and gravel complaints; but it is not much used.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Berwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Norham
- Poor Law Union: Hexham
- Hundred: Norhamshire
- Province: York