Chollerton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Whiteside Law, Little Swinburn, Gunnerton and Chipchase, Gunnerton, Colwell and Swinburn, Colwell and Great Swinburn, Chollerton with Whiteside Law and Little Swinburn, Chipchase, and Barrasford.
Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1643
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1769
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHOLLERTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township lies on the North Tyne river and the Border Counties railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 6¼ miles NNW of Hexham; has a station on the railway; and includes the villages of Whiteside-Law and Little Swinburn. Acres, 2, 817. Pop., 151. Houses, 26. The parish contains also the township of Barrasford, which has a post office under Hexham; and the townships of Colwell and Swinburn, and Gunnerton and Chipchase. Acres, 12, 950. Real property, £23, 657. Pop., 1, 156. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. Swinburn and Chipchase are modern seats on the site of ancient castles. A victory was obtained in the south, at the Roman wall, in 635, by King Oswald over Ceadwallon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £361. Patron, the Rev.Bird. The church is good. The vicarage of Birtley is a separate benefice. The sub-district contains three parishes, part of another, a parochial chapelry, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 46, 230. Pop., 5, 365. Houses, 1, 013.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHOLLERTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Hexham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Birtley, and the townships of Barrasford, Colwell with Swinburn, and Gunnerton with Chipchase, 1129 inhabitants, of whom 155 are in the township of Chollerton, 6 miles (N.) from Hexham. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £6. 14. 4½.; net income, £361; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. Bird; impropriators, the Mercers’ Company and others. The great tithes of the township of Chollerton have been commuted for £233, and the small for £76; the vicar has a glebe of 7 acres. The church contains an east window of stained glass. At Birtley is a separate incumbency. About a mile from the village of Chollerton was the line of the walls and fosse erected by the Romans and South Britons, at various times, to protect themselves from the incursions of the Picts.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Hexham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bellingham
- Poor Law Union: Hexham
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York