Chillingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Newtown near Wooler, Newtown, Newton, Hepburn, Hebburn near Wooler, and Hebburn.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1692
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Chillingham, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Till, 4½ miles ESE of Wooler, and 7¼ WSW of Lucker r. station. Pop., 147. Houses, 30. The parish includes also the townships of Hebburn and Newton. Post-town, Chatton, under Belford. Acres, 4,929. Real property, £4,354. Pop., 328. Houses, 66. The property all belongs to the Earl of Tankerville.
Chillingham Castle, the Earl’s seat, is a heavy structure, of the time of Elizabeth; and contains portraits of Bacon, Burleigh, Buckingham, Charles I., and James II. The park is large and beautiful; and contains a herd of wild white cattle, with black noses, known as the white Scottish bison. A circular British camp, called Roscastle, is in the park; and the Hurlestone cross, erected in memory of Sir Ralph Percy, who fell here in a skirmish in 1463, is near the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £340. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is good; and contains an alabaster tomb of the Greys of Wark.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHILLINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 459 inhabitants, of whom 217 are in the township of Chillingham, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Wooler. The parish is situated on the river Till, which flows through the centre of it, in a direction from south to north, and falls into the Tweed at Tilmouth. It comprises, with the townships of Hebburn and Newtown, 4925a. 3r. 25p., of which 1794 acres are arable, 2296 pasture, and 835 woodland; the surface is in many parts richly embellished. The soil is various, but the greater portion exceedingly fertile: coal and limestone are found, the latter being quarried for burning into lime; and there are quarries of stone for building and other purposes. The parish belongs to the Earl of Tankerville, whose seat, Chillingham Castle, is a very ancient structure; the north-east tower dates back to the time of Henry III.: the building probably became dilapidated during the war of the Roses, and the centre was rebuilt in the reign of James I. In the park is a breed of wild cattle, the only one in the island, and supposed to be the same as was found before the time of the Romans; the animals are white, with a tinge of red on the ears. The living is a vicarage as to the townships of Chillingham and Newtown, and a rectory as to Hebburn, and is valued in the king’s books at £4; patron, the Bishop of Durham; impropriator of the remainder of the great tithes, the Earl of Tankerville. The tithes have been commuted for £384, and the glebe comprises nearly 2 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is an ancient and small edifice, with a Norman doorway; in the chancel is a richlysculptured monument, temp. Henry VII., to Sir Ralph Grey, whose father was killed at the battle of Towton, and whose grandfather was beheaded by Henry V., with Lord Cobham, after the Lollard outburst. On an eminence eastward from Chillingham Park is a double intrenchment, called Ros Castle, supposed to be a British fort; in the park is an ancient camp. At Newtown is a cross, termed the Hurle Stone, which is twelve feet high.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Glendale Ward
- Province: York