Chatton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Weetwood, Lyham, Horton, Hetton, and Fowberry.
Parish church: Holy Cross
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1712
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760
Nonconformists include: United Presbyterian Church of Scotland and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Chatton, a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland; on the river Till, 4 ½ miles E of Wooler, and 6 ¾ WSW of Lucker r. station. It has a post-office under Belford. Acres, 17,090. Real property, £14,922. Pop., 1,651. Houses, 310. The papery is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £198. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHATTON (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (E.) from Wooler, on the road to Belford; containing 1725 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Till, comprises by measurement 15,830 acres, whereof 7035 are arable, 8311 pasture, and 484 woodland. It abounds with limestone and coal, the working of which affords employment to a considerable number of the population; the latter is chiefly for home consumption. Clay of good quality is found for the making of bricks and tiles, which is carried on to a moderate extent; and there are several quarries of freestone of excellent quality for building. A large fair is held at Weetwood Bank, on the third Tuesday in May, for all kinds of stock, and also for cloth, shoes, hardware, and various other articles. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £12. 16. 0½.; net income, £198; patron, the Duke of Northumberland; impropriators, the Earl of Tankerville and others. The church was rebuilt about 1763. A curious stone coffin was discovered in the churchyard a few years since, while digging a grave, and has been placed in the chancel of the church; it contained some human bones, pieces of armour, and a coin of Robert Bruce. There are vestiges of encampments in various parts of the parish; and numerous fossils are found in the limestone-quarries.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Glendale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Glendale
- Hundred: Glendale Ward
- Province: York