Bywell St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Styford, Stocksfield Hall, Riding, Bywell, Broomhaugh, and Bearl.
Alternative names: St Andrew’s Bywell
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1668
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Bywell St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BYWELL-ST. ANDREW, a township and a parish in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township includes part of Bywell village. Pop., 19. Houses, 7. The parish includes also the townships of Stocksfield Hall, Riding, Bearl, Styford, and Broomhaugh; lies along the river Tyne and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway: and contains the r. stations of Stocksfield and Riding-Mill, and the post offices of Stocksfield, Northumberland, and Riding-Mill, Northumberland. Acres, 3,512. Real property, £5,400. Pop., 508. Houses, 90. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £159. Patron, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church has a lofty steeple, and is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BYWELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 452 inhabitants, of whom 51 are in part of the township of Bywell, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Corbridge, and 13½ (W. by S.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The parish is on the north and south sides of the river Tyne, and comprises the townships of Bearl, Broomhaugh, Riding, Stocksfield-Hall, Styford, and part of Bywell; the whole forming an area, by computation, of 3680 acres. It is intersected by the road from Newcastle to Hexham; and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway also passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £3. 9. 2., and in the patronage of T. W. Beaumont, Esq.; impropriators, R. Trevelyan and H. Witham, Esqrs. The great tithes have been commuted for £434, and the small for £100; the vicar has a glebe of 14 acres. The church is a small edifice with a lofty steeple.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Hexham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Corbridge
- Poor Law Union: Hexham
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York