Byrness is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1801 from chapelry in Elsdon Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1813
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
- Alwinton with Holystone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BYRNESS, or Burness, a chapelry in Elsdon parish, Northumberland; on the river Reed, among the Cheviots, 10 miles NW of Otterburn, and 12½ N of Forset r. station. Post Town, Elsdon, under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Statistics returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £75. Patron, the Rector of Elsdon. The church was built in 1793.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BYRNESS, a chapelry, in the parish of Elsdon, union of Rothbury, S. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 13¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Bellingham. This place is situated on the road from Newcastle to Jedburgh, and is watered by the Rede river: coal-mines, freestone, and limestone are worked. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £75; patron, the Rector of Elsdon. The income is paid from Queen Anne’s Bounty and the rent of 16 acres of land; there is a good glebe-house, with about 3 acres of land attached. The chapel was built by subscription, in 1793, in an ancient burial-ground; it is 34 feet long, by 22 wide, and has a very small chancel, and a porch at the west end. Here was a Druidical temple, but every vestige of it has disappeared.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Bellingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Rothbury
- Poor Law Union: Rothbury
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
- Province: York