Bingfield St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1740 from St John Lee Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1773
- St Oswald in Lee
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BINGFIELD, a township in St. John-Lee parish, Northumberland; on Watling-street and on the river Erringburn, 5½ miles N by W of Corbridge. Acres, 2,047. Pop., 93. Houses, 18. Here are a mineral sp ring and a chapel of ease.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BINGFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N. N. E.) from Hexham; containing 111 inhabitants. It occupies an eminence above five miles north-north-east from St. John Lee, and the road from Corbridge to Cowden passes on the west. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. The tithes have been commuted for £150. 10. payable to the Mercers’ Company, London, and £27. 14. 6. to an impropriator. A school is endowed with £10 per annum. Near the Ering burn, a little northward from the village, is a mineral spring, the water of which is so powerful that neither fish nor any kind of insect can live in it, and which was said by the celebrated Dr. Werge to be in no respect inferior to Gisland spa.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Hexham
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of York in Hexham and Hexhamshire
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Hexham
- Poor Law Union: Hexham
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York