Beltingham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1830 from chapelry in Haltwhistle Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1881
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1812
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BELTINGHAM, a chapelry in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland; on the South Tyne, adjacent to the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near Bardon Mill station, 4 miles W of Haydon Bridge. Post Town, Bardon Mill, under Carlisle. Statistics not separately reported. A market was formerly held here; and there is a very old and large yew in the churchyard. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £87. Patron, the Vicar of Haltwhistle. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BELTINGHAM, a hamlet, in the township of Ridley, parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Haltwhistle. This place is beautifully situated upon a gentle eminence on the south side of the South Tyne, and is said to have been anciently a market-town, but now consists only of four dwellings: the Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes in the vicinity. Here is a chapel supposed to have been formerly a domestic chapel to the castle of Williamswyke, but at present appropriated to public worship; it is an ancient and handsome edifice of the period of Henry VII., with elegant windows, so large and numerous, as to have led Mr. Hodgson the historian of Northumberland, to call it “a cage of light.” The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Haltwhistle, with a net income of £75.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Haltwhistle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Hexham
- Poor Law Union: Haltwhistle
- Hundred: Tynedale Ward
- Province: York